This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement: Preference will be given to suitably qualified applicants in line with Transnet’s
Employment Equity policy and plan. Candidates will be subjected to an executive management
assessment as well as an intensive vetting process as per the requirements of the job.
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section
of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
The closing date is on 29.05.2019. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application
before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at
Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet Group Services
Position Title : Chief Procurement Officer
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Procurement
Location : Johannesburg
Reporting To : Group Chief Executive
Grade Level : A
Reference Number : 6003257
Position Purpose :
Transnet is the largest integrated logistics company in Southern Africa and the custodian of ports, rail and pipelines. The
company has an annual revenue of R72 Billion, an asset base of R369,8 Billion and 55,000 employees. Transnet’s port, rail
and pipeline infrastructure facilitates the movement of goods from where they are produced to where they are consumed.
This enables trade and connection to export markets. The Company is therefore critical for cost-effective, efficient, and
seamless movement of goods through our economic system. The company’s core mandate is to assist in lowering the cost of
doing business in South Africa, enabling economic growth and ensuring security of supply through providing appropriate
ports, rail and pipeline infrastructure as well as operations in a cost effective and efficient manner, within acceptable
Transnet is also a key implementing agent of the developmental state and must align with Government’s Programme of
Action which seeks to build a pragmatic and cooperative relationship between government, organised labour and private
sector stakeholders that can jointly determine a strategic path for state-owned companies to create jobs, enable inclusive
growth and become operationally and financially sustainable.
Transnet seeks to employ a seasoned, ethical and inspirational Chief Procurement Officer to effectively transform and set
up all systems and platforms that integrate all supply chain activities across Transnet. The ideal candidate will be required to
modernise the procurement environment and assume overall strategic and operational accountability for the Group
Procurement portfolio and for the development and implementation of an effective Procurement and Contract Management
strategy and business plan aligned with the strategic pillars of the Group.
Position outputs :
- The Chief Procurement Officer (CPO) is responsible for leading all Transnet procurement efforts to efficiently and
effectively enable cost centre owners; such as Operating Divisions and Business Units maximise the value they receive fromsuppliers to meet their objectives.
- Provide an effective integration of procurement and contract management processes across the Group and for the
improvement of these processes over time.
- Leads and oversees the planning, organisation, execution and reporting associated with Group Procurement Services.
- Actively driving efficiency improvements and embedding leading practices to ensure the achievement of corporate
objectives and goals in the Procurement and Contract management environment.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to Transnet Group Procurement
- Set and communicate the strategic direction of Supply Management for Transnet, ensuring good governance and
integration of optimised sourcing activities across the Transnet Group through:
- Develop differentiated sourcing strategies
- Conduct spend analyses across the Group
- Develop a Group sourcing matrix, classifying commodity groups per each of the four generic Supply Management
- Lead and direct the development, implementation and management of the following processes efficiently and effectively
across Transnet:o Demand management planning
o Strategic and tactical sourcing
o Process review and enablement
o Contract management
o Capital procurement
o Logistics, warehousing and reverse logistics
o Systems enablement
o Total Supply Chain Management
- Effectively set up all Supply Management (SM) systems and platforms across the value chain and Group so that effective,
efficient and cost beneficial supply of goods are realized
- Define and set up appropriate governance structures (such as the transformation of tender boards into acquisition councils)
in compliance with PFMA regulations.
- Control major spend across Business Units through the development of cross-functional sourcing teams and consolidating
joint buying power to deliver optimal value for money outcomes for Operating Divisions.
- Contract management of outsourced and other suppliers and service providers
- Develop benchmarks and scorecards for continuous improvement
- Build a Procurement Centre of Excellence (CoE) to help transform Procurement, and also support broader transformation of
the value chain and the organisation.Qualifications & Experience :
- Post graduate degree in business or relevant field (e.g. Supply Management/Logistics/ Engineering); and
- Proven experience in a large enterprise at an Executive Level.
- PFMA and PPPFA experience
- Regulatory Environment;
- Risk Management;
- Company Law; and
- Compliance and Governance in Commerce
- Master’s MCIPS Qualification and CIPS membership;
- Proven Public Sector procurement experience;
- Experience in international sourcing;
- Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and execute large projects;
- Proven record of ethical leadership in an ethical function; and
- Demonstrated stakeholder and interpersonal relationship skills
- Ethical leadership and responsible corporate citizenship.
- Strategic Thinking
- Relationship Management
- Corporate Governance and Compliance
- Business Performance and Delivery
- Personal Mastery