Faculty Health Sciences
School for Allied Health Professions
Assistant Officer (post level 13)
Job ID: 2993
- NB! Applications may only be submitted online. Please ensure that all relevant documentation is attached to your application. INCOMPLETE OR APPLICATIONS SENT VIA EMAIL WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Please note: Compile/Convert all the below documents as one document (PDF or Word), when uploading it on the online applications system.
- a detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter (please note that the first three (3) referees on your CV will be contacted with regard to reference checking);
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of all academic records;
- certified copies (not older than 3 months) of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- a certified copy (not older than 3 months) of your identity document (ID);
- Proof of registration with a Professional Body (if applicable);
- A copy of your driver’s license (if applicable).
Duties and responsibilities:
- General office management and administration.
- Manage the general telephone and email line to the department, handle email and other correspondence, manage queries and distribute information.
- Order and distribute office supplies (stationary, consumables and cleaning materials) and manage waste paper.
- Supervise the cleanliness and general neatness of the building and lecture venues, and liaise with cleaning staff.
- Supervise and liaise with departmental messenger and assistants.
- Arrange meetings, functions, venues and catering.
- Submit and manage service requests (including reporting faults, repair work and general maintenance).
- Type and prepare the agendas and take minutes of the meetings of the Department of Physiotherapy, distribute these to the academic staff and organise and keep the records of the minutes and related documents up to date.
- Arrange travel and accommodation arrangements (national and international) for staff members and visitors/guest speakers.
- Coordinate postal and courier requirements. Facilitate security measures within the department.
- Manage allocation of venues within the department.
- Maintain administrative records as required by the University and the HPCSA. Coordinate representative-interactions with students and dietitians.
- Manage the printing/photocopying of the department.
- Keep attend list of students up to date on Excel spreadsheet.
- Contribute to community projects within the department. Liaison with community projects managers.
- Financial administration
- Manage financial matters in collaboration with the Head of Department: Submit employee claims, ad hoc claims and F1 forms, and job requests. Handle all purchases and orders via university requisitions.
- Monitor all entities of the department and prepare financial statements.
- Perform general administrative support including obtaining quotations, obtaining electronic requisitions and finalise all purchases as well as all other departmental claims.
- Assist academic staff to manage payments to and from their entities.
- Assist academic staff as needed.
- Academic administration
- Manage enquiries related to the academic programmes.
- Assist students with arrangements regarding student registration, uniforms and photos.
- Support student administration regarding HPCSA and Department of Health.
- Liaise with suppliers pertaining to the printing and distribution of study material, as well as printing of departmental material.
- Manage the timetables of the academic programmes.
- Perform general administrative support for Community Service Learning.
- Compile and finalise documentation for students applying for overseas registration including describing the curriculum as well as the number of hours spent on each module.
- Liaise with presenters of courses presented within the department.
- Coordinate and format examination and test question papers in the department and hand in the examination question papers at the examination division.
- Liaise with external examiners (invitations, flight tickets, accommodation and payment).
- Organise test and practical invigilation as necessary.
- Maintain postgraduate progress reports.
- Manage the departmental book collection and student photocopy requests.
- Assist students in the departmental Consultancy Internship.
- Research administration
- Assist with logistics pertaining to research projects as required.
- Assist academic staff with research finances.
- Assist academic staff with record keeping and filing of undergraduate research projects.
- Assist with purchase orders and organising of third and fourth year research presentations (including catering/booking of venues and invitations to guests).
- Head of Department assistance
- Manage the diary and electronic diary of the Academic Head of Department and assist the Academic Head of Department as needed.
- Grade 12 or National Vocational Certificate on NQF level 4.
- One (1) year relevant working experience related to the duties and responsibilities as listed above.
- Post-school qualification.
- Knowledge of the UFS financial, academic (PeopleSoft).
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, Internet).
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in diverse environment Ability to work self-directed and independently.
- Ability to work and retain equilibrium under pressure.
- Business acumen.
- Results orientated.
- Strategic thinking.
- Building coalitions.
Assumption of duties:
As soon as possible.
4 September 2019.
The salary scale is available on request.
For enquiries, please feel free to contact 051401 9810/ 9813/ 9857 or email Recruit@ufs.ac.za
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/ division.
The UFS will only consider applications of candidates who meet all the inherent requirements of the position. Applications that are incomplete will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.